Wednesday 19 February 2014

A Fishy Evening Delight.


The other Friday I decided to something a little bit special for the lovely ladies in my life.

We had some fish knocking about in the freezer so I decided to whip up a fish pie. 

This is a dish I've stolen off a truly fabulous cook who I have pinched many recipes off, I can't remember where she said she got the recipe from but I will credit it to her. Every time I'm at this house I always feel as if I've feasted and feasted on the most delicious food, it's such a treat. What adds to that treat is there is always flowing Hendricks and Tonics with great hunks of cucumber and fantastic conversation. Perfection.

Now, if some of you are wrinkling your noses at the thought of a fish pie, think again. I really am not the worlds biggest fish eater; salmon, as far as Im concerned is a fish straight from Hell itself. However this pie is just wonderfully moreish and creamy. Although this pie contains salmon, the taste doesn't run into the sauce and the most important thing is that this recipe doesn't contained smoked haddock. It's the smoked fish that usually gives fish pies that overwhelming taste that certainly isn't for the fainthearted.

Again this is a recipe you can adjust, leave things out and put extras in. I had cod and not haddock and I decided to add some little scallops (the little ones are dirt cheap, a whole load cost me £2.50 from the fish counter!). I also forgot to buy spinach, Mix it up a little, remember recipes are guidelines not rules.

You Will Need:
6 Large Potatoes 
2 Eggs
2 Large Handfuls of Spinach  
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 Carrot, finely diced
200ml Double Cream
2 good handfuls of a mixture of Cheddar and Parmesan 
Juice of 1 Lemon
1 Heaped teaspoon of English Mustard 
1 large bunch of Parsley, finely chopped
2 Salmon Fillets, chopped chunky
2 Haddock Fillets, chopped chunky 
1 packet of King Prawns (these can be frozen or raw or cooked)
Nutmeg


Start by making the mash potato. So peel and boil your potatoes. Put the eggs on to boil at the same time. For a good hard boiled egg I would do about 7 mins.


While these are boiling, dice your carrot and onions.


Finely chop your parsley. Don't bother picking off the leaves, just dice the whole lot apart from the biggest stalks.


Start by gently frying off your onions and carrots. Make sure these don't get colour on them, you don't want that, we need a nice pale sauce!

Once these have softened, add in the cream. I always put in extra because I like a really thick creamy sauce, so use your own judgement on this.


Now throw in the parsley....


and a squeeze of lemon juice...


a good old dollop of mustard and season with salt and pepper...


While this all sits together in the pan and everyone gets to know one another, chop up your fish and put in your dish with the prawns.


Now, Ive made 2 pies here because Maddie can't eat cheese, so I just gave her pie the sauce before I added the cheese. It tastes just as good, so you could leave it out altogether if you wanted.


Once your eggs are boiled, cooled and peeled. Chop them into quarters and lay them in the pie. I would also lay the spinach over the top here as well. It may seem like a lot but it will cook and wilt down in the oven.


Now add the cheese...



Spoon the sauce over the fish. Making sure it's all well covered.


Now finish off the mash. I'm a gadget whore so I used my ricer for the smoothest mash ever. Ordinary mashers do suffice.



Stir in a good sprinkle of nutmeg for a little opulence.


Now cover your pie


and use a fork to make it look all pretty and get crispy bits. 

Put in a 180 degree oven an bake for about 30 mins. 

When it comes out the oven, you get something a little like this....


Now how about that for romance?!




Look at that.  Creaaaaaamy goodness.


Serve with peas and broccoli. Never forget your greens people!

Now I tell you what, if people can't be impressed by this little show of love who can be?


I followed up dinner with this bad boy. Chocolate and Raspberry brownies...

However I stole the idea from this blog, so I suggest you head on over to see what she's got to say. They were the easiest things Ive ever made, though they should have been in the oven a tad longer...

http://jessamybaudains.wordpress.com/2014/02/13/naughty-raspberry-chocolate-brownies-and-valentines-day-cocktail-to-make-anyone-swoon/ 







No comments:

Post a Comment